Thursday, March 27, 2008

DO NOT Hurt the Puppy!

Warning: Rant about to happen.

A few nights ago, the DVD d'jour was I Am Legend. I don't want to spoil the story for anyone, so if you haven't seen the movie yet, but plan to, then stop reading now.

I almost didn't finish watching this movie because the dog died! WORSE, the hero had to kill his beloved companion! And this isn't the first movie I've watched lately in which dogs were hurt of killed. In the movie Invasion (with Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig), dogs could recognize the humans infected with aliens and as soon as they did -- bye-bye doggie. UGH! And don't even get me started about the dead dogs in No Country for Old Men!

What a disturbing trend! Now I'm a dog lover from waaay back (my family has had at least one dog for as long as I can remember). I like cats too, and most all little furry creatures, but I digress...

I'll admit that what happened to the dog in I Am Legend was germane to the plot, but I still didn't like it. As for the other two movies mentioned, NOPE! They could have totally left out the dog killing and not affected the story at all. I'm not very squeamish, and I even LIKE a bit of gratuitous violence now and then, but NOT when it is directed at animals!

Okay, rant over.

2 comments:

Jo Lewis said...

Yikes, AC! Then you do NOT want to check out 30 Days of Nights, a bloody vampire movie that involves, yep, the killing of all sled dogs early on in the movie.

But, then again, Josh Hartnett is truly fine.

Loucinda McGary aka Aunty Cindy said...

EEWWWW! Nope not even Josh H. getting NEKKID would compensate for that, I'm afraid!

AC
marking THAT film off her Netflix queue.