I'm often asked about my characters and love it when readers talk about them as if they are real people (probably because they are real to me)!
A few things you might not know about my writing process...
- My characters pretty much name themselves, at least the main characters. I've been known to go through the phone book for names for my minor characters!
- There's a wee bit of Yer Olde Aunty in all her characters. Yes, even the villains! Maybe especially the villains. HA!
- Sometimes my characters are based on real people, but usually it is only a certain aspect of that person. Might be the name (yes, I named a character in The Treasures of Venice after a friend who had an Italian name I liked), or a facial expression, or some personality trait. Careful, you too could end up in one of Aunty's books someday!
- All of my characters have a distinctive 'voice' that I hear inside my head when I'm writing their dialogue. No! Please don't call the men in the white coats. I'm not the only writer who 'hears voices!' Honestly, I'm not.
- I am a little in love with all my heroes. If I don't love them, then why should my readers?