Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Spare Time Projects

Yes, I did write the "Spare Time" in this title with my tongue firmly planted in cheek. I don't have a lot of that elusive thing. But on those rare occasions when I do sit and veg out in front of the TV (watching Netflix!) I almost always have to keep my hands busy. My preferred activity is knitting or crocheting. I learned to do both so many years ago that they are more like a self-soothing exercise than anything else. Plus, I've discovered that while I can't read in a moving car (gives me a horrid headache every darn time) I CAN knit or crochet! So when we have to make a long car trip and the DH is barreling down the freeway at 60+ mph (100+ kph), I can sit in the passenger's seat happily knitting or crocheting away.

I've never been a fan of projects that required me to sew a lot of little pieces together in order to complete. I much prefer to make one or two large pieces and then I'm DONE! That means I make lots of scarves and lap throws or afghans. One of my favorite patterns uses a long stitch that makes the piece look something like the old hound's tooth check fabrics of the 60s. I made four in this pattern in various colors for Christmas presents for my four nieces.

Here are a couple of my recently finished projects...

My son has been a HUGE fan of the New York Jets since he was a little boy. So I crocheted this afghan for him in Jets' colors -- black, white and green. Turned out great and he loves it. One little problem is that our fawn colored Pug Wa-wa's hair really stands out on the black and green. She loves this afghan too!

Here's my current crochet-work-in-progress. It's just about at the halfway point, and I'm afraid I don't know yet what its fate will be. But it is going in the car with me for a trip to SoCal very soon...

Meanwhile, back to one of my favorite patterns, the gigantic Granny Rectangle (as opposed to Granny Square). I love to use this pattern for baby afghans. It's easy and turns out so pretty. See what I mean?

This pretty little throw is for a special friend's newest grandson.

I've heard from several sources that "needlework is becoming a lost art." I hope that's not true! It may not be cheaper than buying a blanket or throw at the local discount store, but there's something very special about a handmade item.

What do you think? Hand made or store bought? Do you have a crafty vocation?

6 comments:

Jennifer Tanner said...

Hi AC!

I wish I could knit and crochet. My mom's always done both, including cross stitch and embroidery. However, I'm able to read in a car. :)

I like arranging flowers and tablescapes, inventing appetizers and cooking..none of which can be done in front of a television. :)

Helen said...

Hi AC

Love those rugs I have made a few over the years and I agree I don't like sewing the sqaures together so I too just keep crocheting, My Mum made us all some great big blankets some in squares some with other patterns and they really are beautiful. These days I don't do much of this at all I don't watch TV so I read no knitting or crocheting for me.

Have Fun
Helen

Loucinda McGary aka Aunty Cindy said...

Hi Jen!
I would LOVE to learn flower arranging. I love cut flowers but usually just shove a clump of them into the most convenient vase. I know, I know... BARBARIC!

And inventing appetizers sounds GREAT! If you ever need a tester, I'm ready to volunteer!

AC

Loucinda McGary aka Aunty Cindy said...

Helen,
I have a couple of the last afghans my mom made before she passed away and they are very special to me!

I hope you like the pictured baby blanket because it is headed YOUR way for your new grandson! ;-)

HUGS!
AC

Helen said...

Aunty Cindy

I love it and I know that Bec and Josh will as well he is such a cutie and really starting to smile all the time now.
Thank you so much

Have Fun
Helen

Loucinda McGary aka Aunty Cindy said...

Helen,
I'm trying to find the best box for the post right now. But since it is the start of your winter, I know the baby will be able to use the blanket for several months.

HUGS!
AC