Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Goody Goody for Me

Since they've returned from RWA National, a bunch of my Bandita buddies and I have been engaged in a private conversation about "goodies." You know, all those little do-dads and thing-a-ma-bobs that get handed out at conferences, or lie about on tables for the taking -- book marks, magnets, pens, pencils, candy, even condoms! Our discussion has been about what (if anything) an author can give away that will actually lead to someone buying the book.

So far, our conclusions have been probably nothing.

To be fair, I'm probably not the best judge of such things because I actually don't buy that many books. *GASP* Did Aunty just ADMIT such blasphemy?!?! Matter of fact, the last four books I bought were all written by friends (check the comments and I'll NAME the books). Note I did not say these were the last four books I have READ (though I did read and actually ENJOYED all of them). As for the trinkets, I LOVE the quality pens (not those stick pens with the caps that immediately get lost), sticky notes, and the little note pads.

But quite honestly, I've NEVER bought a book by any of the authors whose trinkets (and sometimes candy) I've scooped up and carried home from conferences. I wonder if anyone reading this has? TELL TELL TELL!

One thing several of my Bandita buddies said got them to buy was reading an excerpt on an author's website or elsewhere, like a review site. Nope, afraid that hasn't worked for me either. I'm strictly a 'go into the brick&mortar store, pick up the book, read a little and decide whether or not to buy' kinda gal.

Hey, I never claimed to be normal...

3 comments:

Loucinda McGary aka Aunty Cindy said...

Okay for all the ENQUIRING MINDS who want to know the last four books Aunty purchased (all my 2006 Golden Hearth Finalists):
"The Bride of Shadow Canyon" by Stacey Kayne
"The Dark Gate" by Pamela Palmer
"Claiming the Courtesan" by Anna Campbell
and "Double Dare" by Tawny Weber

They are all very different books but all wonderfully written and very entertaining in their own ways! I recommend ALL OF THEM!

AC

Anna Campbell said...

Hey, AC, popped round to say hi and noticed you're spruiking my book, darling! Mwah! Mwah! That's what I like to see!

On the subject of doodads, I've got to say the only things that have made me buy a book are:

I know and like the author

Someone I know and like likes the author

Excerpt

Review (depending on who)

Interesting blurb

Cover (yes, I'm a sucker for a great clinch!)

General buzz (worked for me with the J.R. Wards and I'm SOOO glad I did!)

A pen or a bookmarks is nice but they won't make me part with cold, hard cash.

Be interested to know what other people think.

Anna

Loucinda McGary aka Aunty Cindy said...

FOANNA!
What a wonderful surprise.
MWAH! MWAH! Right back atcha!

I LOVE spruiking CTC (sounds kinky doesn't it?!?!) because it was such a GREAT READ! I can't wait to get my hands on "Untouched" and you need to get that gorgeous new cover up over on the Bandit blog.

HUGS!
AC