Sunday, March 27, 2011

Too Lion-ish!

Just three weeks ago, I was musing that March didn't know if it was coming in like a Lion or a Lamb. Unfortunately, it soon made its intentions known...

This month has been waaaay too Lion-ish for me! To say the weather has been nasty would be a gross understatement. We've had TWO tornadoes touch down in my neck o' the woods, something UNHEARD OF in NorCal! Please excuse me while I whine:

WHERE THE HECK IS SPRING?!?!?

I don't remember previous years being so wet and blustery. My son and I went to lunch and then grocery shopping a few days ago and the rain was coming down so hard we could have been in a car wash! Then the winds would gust and send it sideways, so an umbrella was worse than useless. My favorite local weatherman said last night that our rainfall is at 157% of normal.

ENOUGH ALREADY!

When I first moved to this area more than three decades ago, I visited the Donner Memorial State Park. I'll never forget seeing the "stumps" of trees the ill-fated Donner party used for firewood, because those "stumps" were fifteen feet tall! That's how deep the snow was at their camp back in the winter of 1846-47.

Well, last night on the local news, they reported that a ski area about 60 miles east of my house had six hundred inches of snow! Yes, you read that correctly, OVER FIFTEEN METERS (for you metric readers and 50 FEET for the rest of us)! People literally can not find their vacation homes. Here's a shot of one of the main roadways less than an hour's drive from my house.

Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere near all that snow. I'm too busy worrying about the Sacramento River, which is less than two miles away. It went over its "critical" stage last night. ACK!

But all the local weather forecasters are in agreement that the winter storms are over and spring will arrive before the end of the week. I'm not so sure I believe them.

Has spring (or fall) arrived at your house? And do you believe the TV meteorologists?

2 comments:

Helen said...

Aunty Cindy

The weather all over the world is really changing lately very strange. We have had more rainfall in the month of March than we have had in many many years and it has been hot and humid yuk. Although the evenings are starting to cool yay makes for sleeping a lot better LOL I even put my thicker dressing gown on after my shower last night it was nice. I am starting to feel autumn here in Oz at the moment which is my favourite season and I am on holidays from work so I intend to take it easy and catch up on some reading and enjoy my new grandson Josh who was born on 28th march.
I hope spring arrives for you very soon

Have Fun
Helen

Loucinda McGary aka Aunty Cindy said...

Helen,
CONGRATS again on your adorable new grandson!

The past two days have felt very spring-like and have actually been sunny. I hope that means the rain and snow is over for awhile!

AC