Thursday, June 9, 2011

5 Landmarks

I've noticed in lots of movies that they will include a glimpse of a particular landmark to instantly give the audience a 'sense of place.' It's a simple technique but particularly effective, in my opinion.

Of course that started me thinking (always a scary proposition) about which landmarks are the most familiar to audiences (and I'm talking man made objects, not natural wonders). What can you immediately recognize with just one quick look?

Here are the first five that sprang to my mind:

  1. The Sphinx -- virtually every movie set in Egypt has a shot of this icon structure. They even use it in cartoons!
  2. The Great Wall of China -- anytime I see that sinuous structure winding through the hills, I get a thrill-ripple down my spine. The Great Wall has fascinated people for centuries!
  3. The Eiffel Tower -- that open framework silhouette is unmistakable! Has there ever been a disaster movie made that didn't include a shot of the Eiffel Tower?
  4. The Golden Gate Bridge -- There are lots of famous bridges, and maybe I'm a wee bit biased (being a native Californian and living close to San Francisco), but this bridge is the granddaddy of 'em all!
  5. The Parthenon -- I had a hard time choosing between this one and the Taj Mahal. But even as a child, I remember seeing pictures of the Parthenon (even if I didn't know what it was) and I was a young teen the first time I saw a piccie of the Taj Mahal (yes, it was new construction then ).
I could add more but I'll stop for now and give you a chance to comment or give me your own list. Hmm, I just realized that I've actually been up close and personal with four of the five landmarks on my list!

Okay, your turn: Did you recognize all of my landmarks? Are there others you think are more easily recognized? Remember, these are man made structures. We'll save the wonders of nature for another post.


2 comments:

Helen said...

What a lovely post I did recognise them all and maybe one day I will be lucky enough to see them all in person rather than on TV and in photos.

Not sure that I cam name anymore other than The Sydney Harbour Bridge and The Opera House here in Sydney that have been in a few Australian movies that I have seen.

So cold here in Oz at the moment and I can't shake this flue that has turned into asthma maybe this will be one year that I will be looking forward to summer LOL

Have Fun
Helen

Loucinda McGary aka Aunty Cindy said...

Oh no, Helen! So sorry to hear you are not feeling well. :-( Cold weather can be a BUGGER!

I think the Sydney Opera House is one of the most beautiful (and most recognized) buildings in the world! Maybe next time I'll do just buildings. I think the Chrysler Building in New York is my fave. It's got this gorgeous art deco facade.

The Sphinx is the one on my list I haven't seen, but I would love to! And of course, I'd love to revisit all of them.

AC