Friday, July 22, 2011

I DO NOT Talk to Recordings!

It happened again this morning -- the phone rang at 8 AM.

This was the third time in a week, and yes it woke me up. Not from a deep sleep, the dogs did that at 7:30, but I always take a lovely little snooze for about an hour after I let them out. But sleep is sleep and I do NOT like my lovely little snoozes interrupted.

Because we had a family emergency last week, when the phone jangled me awake, I leaped up to answer, fearing the worst. I pressed the button and squeaked out hello, only to be treated to that annoying robotic voice: "This-is-an-im-por-tant-mess-age-for..." and then mispronounced my name. I'm sure I uttered a most unladylike expletive as I hung up the phone.

If this mess-age is so very IM-POR-TANT, then have a LIVE PERSON call me! I am sick and tired of companies using automated calling systems. Nine times out of ten, if I press the number the recording tells me to, I'm put on hold for several minutes. If it is so very IM-POR-TANT, why do I have to WAIT?!?! And once I do get a live person, they usually ask for someone I've never heard of, but who has my last name (which they always mispronounce). Since when is it logical to assume that I know every person who has the same last name I do? Or that they ALL live with me and share the same phone? Brilliant logic in place there -- NOT!

More than once I've been connected to YET ANOTHER recording telling me to call a completely different number (NO WAY until I know WTH this is about!) or to call back "during our business hours."

EXCUSE ME?!?! It's okay to disturb ME during NON-business hours but not you? I won't even dignify that with a non-expletive laden response.

I've signed up for every Do-Not-Call list I can find, but apparently it doesn't matter. If my telephone number is listed in the phone directory, I'm fair game for every so-called business that can buy an automated calling device or service.

MAKE IT STOP!!!


I'm sorry to say that on the rare occasions I DO actually get a live person, I am NOT polite to them. But what do they expect? I tend to be downright cranky when I'm awakened for a recording that has nothing to do with me! I'll also confess to sometimes being so frustrated that I shout at the recording. Aggravation will do that to a person, especially when it is the third time in as many days.

So as of this morning, I've made a vow: I WILL NOT RESPOND TO ANY RECORDINGS!

Have a live person call, or you won't reach me! Oh, and if you don't know how to pronounce my name, then you don't know me and I am not talking to you!

Okay, rant over for today... until the next phone call.

How do you feel about automated phone calls? Do you respond? Hang up? Get annoyed? (Please don't tell me I'm the only one who rants and raves at recordings!)

2 comments:

Helen said...

AC

I know your pain I too get very annoyed when I get a recorded message or even a person ringing me for something we too are on the do not call register and I have to say we get very few these days but low and behold if someone does get thru I rant and rave then hang up LOL because it is usullay around dinner time or early in the morning.
I say they have to put a stop to them once and for all

Have Fun
Helen

Loucinda McGary aka Aunty Cindy said...

Hey Helen,
I'm sooo happy to hear I'm not the only one who rants and raves at those annoying calls! :-) And you are right, it's either early in the morning or right at dinner time. GRRRR!

AC